Tuesday 28 February 2017

Muhammad Ali's son was detained at the airport because he's Muslim

Son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali said he was detained by immigration officials at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Florida because he's a Muslim. 
 
Muhammad Ali Jr., along with his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali were returning to Florida from Jamaica after speaking at a black history event. They were retrieving their bags at baggage claim, when an official pulled them aside.

In an interview with CNN, the 44-year-old American citizen, who was born in Philadelphia said, "He asked me, 'what is your name?' Which I didn't think nothing of that. He said, 'OK, now, what is your religion?' And I said, 'Muslim, I'm a Muslim.' And I thought to myself, that's kind of odd. He asked about my religion, and I'm traveling back into the country from where I came from?" 

Ali Jr. said the immigration official questioned him in separate room from his mother, Camacho-Ali for nearly two hours. "They asked me, where was I born and what my religion was, where did I get the name from," Camacho-Ali said. 

According to Camacho-Ali, she was released after she showed the official a photo of herself with her then ex-husband, Muhammad Ali. "I figured, maybe if I show I'm really Muhammad Ali's ex-wife, they would believe me and make it less of a problem," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anti-IPOB Protesters Take Case To American Embassy (Photos)

Members of Stand Up for Peace Movement have gone on a protest in Abuja on Thursday, in reaction to America’s stand that IPOB is not a t...